International Student Office Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Copyright © 2013 ISO HUST. All rights reserved.
Address:1037 Luoyu Road, Hongshan District, Wuhan 430074, P.R.China
GRADUATES PROGRAM STUDENTS
(1) The study duration for graduate programs depend upon the major and language of instruction; The study duration for graduates is two to three years and delay of the schooling within four years is allowed. The study duration for doctors usually is three years while the delay of schooling within eight years is allowed.
(2) Those who are unable to meet the requirements for graduation within the regulated years for study provided not being expelled student and have been approved by their supervisor, could apply for the extension of study duration. After being approved by the university, the students could undertake the formalities for visa/residence permit application afterwards or they will be expelled from the university.
(1) Study plan is the document of highly significance for the graduate education, which shall be made under the guidance of the school and the supervisor of the students according to the study plan based on the major.
(2) Personal study plan shall include the course study plan, scientific research, academic activities, practical part and so forth. It shall be reported to the school and the university when finished.
(3) Study plan shall be implemented accordingly once drawn out and is not allowed to be revised freely afterwards. An application is requested if the graduates indeed need to revise the study plan, which could be revised on the condition that the supervisor and the person in charge of the department approve it.
3. Study Courses and Examinations
(1) The study of master candidates follows the credit system. Candidates can only carry out their thesis defense after they acquire all the credits required. For all the courses except the basic courses, the candidates should follow the teaching program according to the requirement of their own department.
(2) The course for the graduates shall follow the requirements below:
I. Basic course
Chinese and A Survey of China are the compulsory course for international students. For Chinese medium students, they are allowed to start their major study only after they pass HSK Band 3 (4 credits); For English Medium students, they could gain 4 credits after they pass the Chinese language examination which is organized by Huazhong University of Science and Technology. A Survey of China is a compulsory course for them: 2 credits.
II. Basic course in general discipline and core courses in major should be selected from the courses provided in the study plan of the discipline (major).
III. Research project, inters-discipline or selective courses shall be implemented according the regulations and rules of the Institute for Graduated and the corresponding department.
(3) The courses for graduates are oriented by examinations and follow the credit system. Others like major practices and seminar can adopt the way of hundred mark system or pass/fail for evaluation.
(4) Course exemption
Graduates who meet the following the requirements could apply the exemption from the related courses as well as the examination. The application shall be processed within one month after the selection of the courses. For application for course exemption, certain materials are requested such as the certificate for the examination, transcript, exam paper and test questions:
I. Basic course
Students who have studied Chinese or A Survey of China in the Chinese universities and who have passed 70 grades in the course examination could apply for course exemption.
Students who have passed HSK 3(180) could apply for course exemption.
II. Major course
a. Doctoral candidates: Students who have published academic monograph or academic paper on the core journal in recent three years can apply for the exemption from major courses whose content is closely related to that of the monograph and paper; Students who have already taken the same course during the doctoral program of other institutions or universities, and the course content meets the requirements of the current graduate study plan of our university and the examination score of the major-oriented course is over 70 are entitled to apply for exemption;
b. Master candidates: Students who had already taken the course in other colleges, the course content meets the requirements of the current graduate study plan of our university and the examination score is over 70 are entitled to apply for exemption. Related documents, such as marks sheet, test papers from other colleges are required for the application.
(5) Retaking courses
Graduates must retake the course which they failed in. If they fail in the selective courses, candidates can retake the course or select other courses. Graduates who fail the examination of two courses or below before the middle selection are allowed to conduct the defense, on the condition that they retake the failed course and pass the exam, otherwise they are not qualified for defense.
(6) Suspension for taking courses and examination
If candidates have to postpone course studies or examination owing to some unexpected reason such as taking part in program research, they must apply for a suspension in advance. If candidates have to take the course in later time, they should re-select the course within the required time.
4. Score Management
(1) Graduates shall attend the courses selected and take the examination corresponded, with the scores recorded in the transcript.
The course will be marked as no score or failure if the graduates don’t attend the course selected or examination corresponded after finishing the formal selection of courses.
Candidates who attend the check without a formal selection of the course will be accounted for invalid scores.
(2) The scores of the examination will be enlisted into the management system by the course teacher. The scores could only be inquired after the approval from the department.
(3) Candidates who cheat in the examination will be accounted for zero as the score with a record of cheating. Retaking the examination is not allowed and certain punishment will be given in consistence with the Discipline and Punishment Regulations of the Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
(4) The scores could only be inquired in the regulated system by the school. An application for the transcript is required from the department by the candidates themselves if the transcript is wanted. The English version of transcript could be applied for at the Graduate Institute after the school issue the transcript of Chinese version.
(5) Candidates who have doubt about the scores could send a written application for rechecking the result within 30 days after the scores are open to the public. The recheck is viable on the approval of the supervisor and the department.
The recheck is limited to the score counting. No check on the the grading is allowed. The result of the recheck is the final version.
5. Scientific Research and Dissertation
(1) The duration for research and dissertation should be no less than two years and all these works should be under the guidance of the supervisor.
(2) Graduates of English medium could write the dissertation in English while the abstract of it shall be in Chinese.
(3) The doctoral candidates shall complete the scientific research assigned by the supervisor. The dissertation for doctor degree shall have access to the subject sources while combined with the scientific research project undertaken by the doctoral program to which the supervisor is subjective.
(4) The assessment will be carried out within one year or one and a half year after the enrollment. The qualification assessment include: performance during doctoral course study; review of no less than 60 domestic or overseas literature related to the research field and topic of dissertation, and overseas literature should cover at least 2/3 of all reviewed literature. The doctoral candidates should write literature review, sources of the paper’s research task and thesis proposal. In the assessment, candidates should report and be interviewed by the Supervising Board of Doctoral Candidates. Degree Assessment Sub-committee of the school/department concerned will check the qualification of doctoral dissertation and the result will be forwarded to the Graduate School of the university for Approval. If candidates can pass the above assessments, they are qualified to write the thesis. If they fail to pass it, they should undertake another round of assessments within half a year or one year after the first one.
(5) Interim Report for the dissertation. Before writing the dissertation, the doctoral candidates should report their research achievements to their tutors or relative scholars and experts. They should take in opinions of doubts and consult for improvements. They should not start the paper writing until innovative research achievements are identified by experts.
(6) The main innovation of PhD thesis should be published in the domestic and foreign academic journals of significance.
(7) The doctoral candidates shall publish the corresponding number of papers before applying for doctoral dissertation defense in accordance with specific standards of Degree Administration Office and the department.
(8) Plagiarism of academic achievements is strictly prohibited during the post-graduate study. Any violation of regulations will be given demerit sanction or above. Expulsion will be conducted as punishment for serious cases.
6. Leave of Absence Procedure
(1) Students study the courses, classes and abide by the disciplines for the courses and examination. Students who cannot attend classes due to illness shall submit the written application for leave of absence and go through the related procedures.
I. Students are required to submit their written application for a leave of absence leave less than a week to their supervisor and after being approved, the record shall be obtained by the International Student Office;
II. Students are required to submit their written application for leave of absence more than a week to their supervisor and the person in charge of the department and after being approved, the record shall be submit to the International Student Office for approval;
III. Students who are applying for an one-time leave of absence of more than 30 days, shall apply for procedures of schooling suspension;
IV. For students who participate in international conferences, international cooperation, exchange of learning, teaching practice or students who are co-investigator, the request for leave of absence will be approved if it is in accordance with the actual situation.
V. For students who don’t attend courses and research activities without application for a leave or without permission shall be punished as behaviors against disciplines.
7. Request to Change Major or University
(1) University transfer
I. Graduates who can’t continue the study due to illness or other special reasons can apply for university transfer, which shall be reported to the school for approval after agreed by the supervisor and the person in charge of the graduate department.
II. Scholarship students are not allowed for university transfer except they declare to withdraw the scholarship.
III. University is not allowed for candidates in the circumstances below:
a. less than a semester's enrollment;
b. Master candidate whose enrollment duration is over a year; doctoral students whose enrollment duration is over two years;
c. candidates who are expelled;
d. others without a justified reason.
(2) Major transfer
I. Graduates who are in the following circumstances can submit the application for major transfer by themselves.
a. due to disciplinary development, major adjustment of the school or change of supervisor.
b. due to change of physical conditions during the school period and not suitable to continue the study for the original major;
c. due to objective reasons from the supervisor who cannot continue to guide;
d. graduate students who have a strong interest in the to-be-transferred major with outstanding performance
II. Graduates who apply for major transfer should acquire a new letter of consent from the supervisor from the new major the consent as well as the approval from the current supervisor, both the departments / schools to be transferred out and into turn discharged (lines, schools) and transferred to the hospital (Department of the). The application will submit to the university for approval after being approved by the School of International Education.
(3) The graduate in the following circumstances are not allowed for major transfer:
a. in the period of school suspension and enrollment retention;
b. Failure in many course and has reached the extent for expulsion from school.
c Master candidate whose enrollment duration is over a year; doctoral students whose
enrollment duration is over two years;
d. others without a justified reason.
(4) New students who submit the application for major transfer within one month after registration for the new term will be handled in conformity with the relevant provisions for school management. For those who submit the application for major transfer over one month，the application will be dealt with in accordance with the provisions above .
8. Suspension and Recommencement of studies
(1) Graduates who are applying for suspension and who are to be suspended schooling by the school shall fill in Application Form of Student Status Alteration and it’s valid after the approval of the supervisor, the person in charge of graduates and consent from the school.
(2) The duration for schooling suspension is usually on the basis of a semester and if the students who still can’t resume the schooling on the expiration of the suspension, may continue to apply for another suspension of schooling for a semester, however the accumulative time may not exceed one academic year consecutively.
(3) Graduates who study abroad for exchanges can apply for schooling suspension after the approval formalities with their student status remained for one year.
(4) Graduates shall leave the campus on the completion of the procedures for schooling suspension and no longer enjoy the treatment as a student studying in the university.
(5) Graduates whose schooling suspension is in termination shall apply for resumption of schooling in the department and school and fill the Application Form of Student Status Alteration which shall be approved by the Institute for Graduates before the resumption is valid. Students who suspend the schooling due to illness, could resume the schooling with the health certificate issued by the hospital of second tier or above and are insured by the school hospital of the health condition.
9. Expulsion from school
(1) Graduates in the circumstances below will be expelled:
I. Surpass the registration time for over two weeks without an justified reason;
II. Ensured by the hospital of second tier or above of serious illness or disablement owe to accidents and can’t continue the study in the university;
III. Exceed the expiration time for schooling suspension without an application for resuming the schooling; the duration for schooling suspension is over one academic year; the application for resumption of schooling fails to be approved.
IV. Absence from the school more than one week without permission and not return the school after two weeks upon the leave of absence.
V. Without reaching the requirement for study or without completion of the study within the regulated period;
VI. The students apply for the expulsion themselves.
(1) As to students with our formal Students Status, they could graduate after they acquire all credits required in the Study Plan in the study duration. In that case, the university will grant the Certificate of Graduation and award the Bachelor’s Degree according to Provisions of the Regulations on Academic Degree of the People’s Republic of China.
(2) As for students who could not satisfy basic requirements for graduation in the stipulated study duration, those who have achieved the requested credits could leave the university and the university will grant them Certificate of Completion. Graduates who are not relived from any sanction in the graduation season will not be granted the Certificate of Completion.
(3) Graduates who quit or are expelled by the university after study for a period could get a Certificate of Studying indicating that they have ever studied in our university. Students who are expelled from the academic status will be granted the Certificate of Study by the university.
(4) Graduates who have finished the study, graduated will no longer enjoy the rights of the students in enrollment and shall complete the graduation procedures within the regulated time.
(5) As for Certificate of Graduation, Certificate of Bachelor’ Degree and Certificate of Completion, the university will grant to the graduates once every year. Such certificates would not be reissued when they are lost or damaged. However with the above condition, the university could issue a certificate document which has the same validity with the original certificates.
(1) A comprehensive awarding system for international students is established in the school. Students who observe the laws in China and regulations of the university, who study hard, respect the teachers, unite with the classmates and acquire outstanding results in the study and who do good deeds inside and outside the campus will be awarded by the university according to the performance of the student. For students who have been awarded, a written notice will be delivered to the students’ corresponding embassy in China.
(2) Candidates who have published academic papers as the first author in famous academic journals as recognized by the university and list HUST as the first institution of publication will be awarded by the International Student Office. Subsidy (once only, no more than RMB 1,000) shall be provided depending on the importance of the journal that they published on.
(3) Punishment like warning, serous warning, recording of demerit, probation and even expulsion will be given to students who ignore the regulation and rules of the university, who violate the laws in China according to the seriousness of the cases.
I. For students who have been punished, a written notice will be delivered to the students’ corresponding embassy in China or to the dispatching unit for the dispatched students.
II. Students who have been punished will not be entitled the qualification for scholarship.