Honours and Awards
 (More recent publications can be found in FunMat Laboratory website: http:'funmat.ese.hust.edu.cn/publications/)
45. Synthesis and strength optimization of one-part geopolymer based on red mud, N. Ye, J. Yang*, S. Liang, Y. Hu, J. Hu, B. Xiao, Q. Huang, Construction and Building Materials, 2016 (111), 317-325
44. Roles of iron species and pH optimization on sewage sludge conditioning with Fenton’s reagent and lime, W. Yu, J. Yang*, Y. Shi, J. Song, Y. Shi, J. Xiao, C. Li, X. Xu, S. He, S. Liang, X. Wu, J. Hu, Water Research, 2016 (95), 124-133
43. The effect of barium sulfate doped lead oxide as positive active materials on the performance of lead acid battery, X. Yuan#, J. Hu#, J. Xu, Y. Hu, W. Zhang, J. Dong, S. Liang, H. Hou, X. Wu, J. Yang*, RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 27205-27212
42. Distribution and speciation of heavy metals in two different sludge composite conditioning and deep dewatering processes, C. Li, S. Zhang, J. Yang*, Y. Shi, W. Yu, S. Liang, J. Song, Q. Xu, Y. Chen, J. Hu, Y. Li and C. Yang, RSC Adv., 2015,5, 102332-102339
41. Electroanalysis of Hydrogen Peroxide at Boron Doped Diamond Electrode Modified by Silver Nanoparticles and Haemoglobin, L.Y. Jiang, J.P. Hu, J.S. Foord*, Electrochimica Acta, 2015, 176, 488-496
40. A novel leady oxide combined with porous carbon skeleton synthesized from lead citrate precursor recovered from spent lead-acid battery paste, Y. Hu, J.K. Yang*, W. Zhang, Y.L. Xie, J.X. Wang, X.Q. Yuan, R. V. Kumar, S. Liang, J.P. Hu, X. Wu, Journal of Power Sources, 2016, 304, 128-135
39. Distribution and speciation of heavy metals in two different sludge composite conditioning and deep dewatering processes,X. Li, S.N. Zhang, Y.K. Yang*, Y.F. Shi, W.B. Yu, S. Liang, J. Song, Q. Xu, Y. Chen, J.P. Hu, Y. Li, C.Z. Yang, RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 102332-102339
38. Synergetic conditioning of sewage sludge via Fe2+/persulfate and skeleton builder: Effect on sludge characteristics and dewaterability, Shi, Y. F., J. K. Yang*, W. B. Yu, S. N. Zhang, S. Liang, J. Song, Q. Xu, N. Ye, S. He, C. Z. Yang and J. P. Hu, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2015, 270, 572-581.
37. Stannous sulfate as an electrolyte additive for lead acid battery made from a novel ultrafine leady oxide, Wang, Q., J. W. Liu, D. N. Yang, X. Q. Yuan, L. Li, X. F. Zhu, W. Zhang, Y. C. Hu, X. J. Sun, S. Liang, J. P. Hu, R. V. Kumar and J. K. Yang*, Journal of Power Sources, 2015, 285, 485-492.
36. Structural study of a lead (II) organic complex – a key precursor in a green recovery route for spent lead-acid battery paste, Zhang, W., J. Yang*, X. Zhu, X. Sun, W. Yu, Y. Hu, X. Yuan, J. Dong, J. Hu, S. Liang and R. V. Kumar, Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology 2015. (DOI: 10.1002/jctb.4620)
35. Synthesis and Electrocatalytic Performance of BDD-Supported Platinum Nanoparticles, X. Lyu, J. Hu*, J. S. Foord*, C. Lou, W. Zhang, J. Mater. Eng. Perform., 2015, 24, 2, 1031-10373.
34. 国家发明专利:一种赤泥生产地聚物胶凝材料的方法及产品, 发明人/设计人：杨家宽，叶楠，梁莎，胡敬平，虞文波，宋健，金龙，张伟，胡雨辰；专利号：ZL201410160376.9，分类号： C04B7/14，公开/公告号： CN103964710A，公开/公告日：2014-08-06，授权日：2015-01-28
32. Glutamate Biosensors Based on Diamond and Graphene Platforms, J. Hu, S. Wisetsuwannaphum, J. S. Foord*, Faraday Discuss., 2014, 172, 457-472
31. A novel electroless method to prepare a platinum electrocatalyst on diamond for fuel cell applications , X. Lyu, J. Hu*, J. S. Foord*, Q. Wang, J. Power Sources, 2013, 242, p631-637
30. Shape selective plate-form Ga2O3 with strong metal-support interaction to overlying Pd for hydrogenation of CO2 to CH3OH , X. Zhou, J. Qu, F. Xu, J. Hu, J. S. Foord, Z. Zeng, X. Hong, S. C. E. Tsang*, Chem. Commun., 2013,49, p1747-1749
29. Plasma electrochemistry: Development of a reference electrode material for high temperature plasmas, T. Fowowe, E. Hadzifejzovic, J. Hu, J. S. Foord, D. J Caruana*, Advanced Materials, 2012, 24 (47), p 6305–6309
28. Electrodeposition of a Pt-PrO2-x electrocatalyst on diamond electrodes for the oxidation of methanol, L. Chen, J. Hu, J. S. Foord*, Phys. Status Solidi A, 2012, 209 (9), p1792–1796
27. PCT Patent: UK Invention Application: Composition for hydrogen generation, Patent Appl No. 1217525.3, J.S. Foord, J. Hu, filed on 1 October 2012; International PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty) Patent application No. PCT/GB13/000415, Patent No. WO2014053799-A1, filed on 1 October 2013, Publication date 10 Apr 2014. Patent No. EP2904054-A1, Publication date 12 Aug 2015. (国际专利)
26. Electrochemical detection of DNA hybridization by a zirconia modified diamond electrode, B. Liu, J. Hu*, J.S. Foord*. , Electrochem. Commun., 2012, 19, p46–49
25. Shape-Dependent Acidity and Photocatalytic Activity of Nb2O5 Nanocrystals with an Active TT (001) Surface. Y. Zhao, C. Eley, J. Hu, J.S. Foord, L. Ye, H. He, and S.C.E. Tsang. (2012), Angewandte Chemie – Intl Ed, 2012, 124(16), p3912–3915, doi: 10.1002/anie.201108580 (Hot paper)
24. Patent (PRC Invention): Electroless coating method of platinum on conductive carbon base, Patent No. ZL201010599829.X, Publication No. CN 102071413 A, Application No. 201010599829.X , Appl Date:2010-12-22, Granted Date: 2012-02-15 . (国家发明专利: 一种在导电碳基表面化学镀铂的方法, 吕逍,王强,赫冀成,约翰伏特，胡敬平，专利号 ZL201010599829.X，授权日：2012-02-15 )
23. Fabrication of Hybrid Diamond and Transparent Conducting Metal Oxide Electrode for Spectroelectrochemistry, J. Hu, J. Hodge, A. Boff, J.S. Foord, International Journal of Electrochem-istry, Vol 2011, 2011, Article ID 286458 [Full text online, PDF]
22. Electrochemical deposition of Pt-Ru on diamond electrode for electro-oxidation of methanol, X. Lu, J. Hu*, J.S. Foord*, Q. Wang, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 654 (2011) p38-43
21. Electrochemical Deposition of Thin Film Zirconia on Diamond, B. Liu, J. Hu, J. S. Foord, Electro-chemical and Solid-State Letters, 2011,14 (2), p D20-D22
20. Nanodiamond pretreatment for the modification of diamond electrodes by platinum nanoparticles. J. Hu, X. Lu, J.S. Foord, Electrochem. Commun., 2010, 12 (5), p676–679.
19. Evaluation of intergranular corrosion susceptibility of UNS S31803 duplex stainless steel with an optimized DL-EPR method, J. Gong, Y.M. Jiang, B. Deng, J.L. Xu, J.P. Hu, Jin Li, Electrochimica Acta, 2010, 55 (18), p 5077-5083
18. Electrochemical deposition of Pt nanoparticles on diamond substrates, J. Hu, X. Lu, J.S. Foord, Q. Wang, physica status solidi (a), 2009, 206, 9, p2057-2062
17. Focused Ion Beam Fabrication of Boron-Doped Diamond Ultramicroelectrodes , Jingping Hu, Katherine B. Holt and John S. Foord, Anal. Chem., 2009, 81 (14), pp 5663–5670.
16. An X-ray spectroscopic study of the electronic structure of CuCrO2, T. Arnold, D.J. Payne, A. Bourlange, J. Hu, R.G. Egdell, Physical Review B. 79, 075102 (2009).
15. Heterogeneous Electron Transfer Kinetics at the Ionic Liquid/Metal Interface studied using Cyclic Voltammetry and Scanning Electrochemical Microscopy, A.W. Taylor, F. Qiu, J. Hu, P. Licence, D.A. Walsh, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2008, 112 (42), 13292-13299.
14. Scanning Electrochemical Microscopy (SECM) Studies of Redox Processes at Undoped Nanodiamond Surfaces, K. B. Holt, C. Ziegler, J. Zang, J. Hu, J. S. Foord, Journal of Physical Chemistry 2009, 113 (7), pp 2761–2770.
13. On-site interband excitations in resonant inelastic X-ray scattering from Cu2O, J. Hu, D. J. Payne, R. G. Egdell, P.-A. Glans, T. Learmonth, K.E. Smith, J. Guo, N.M. Harrison, Phys. Rev. B, 77, 155115 (2008).
12. The electronic structure of SrCu2O2 studied by vacuum ultraviolet photoemission and density functional calculations, J. Hu, D.J. Payne, R.G. Egdell, V.R. Dhanak, G. Miller, Chemical Physics Letters, 450, 39-43 (2007).
11.. Redox Properties of Undoped 5 nm Diamond Nanoparticles , K. B Holt, C. Ziegler, D. J. Caruana, J. Zang, E. J. M. Barrios, J. Hu, J. S. Foord, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 10, 303-310 (2008).
10. Hot Filament Chemical Vapour Deposition of Diamond Ultramicroelectrodes , J. Hu, J. S. Foord, K.B. Holt, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 9 (39), p.5469-5475, 2007 (published as a HOTArticle).
9. Diamond Ultramicroelectrodes , J. S. Foord, J. Hu, and K. B. Holt, phys. stat. sol (a), 204, No. 9, 2940¨C2944 (2007).
8. Photon energy dependence of final state screening in a dilute electron gas system: a synchrotron radiation photoemission study of beta-PbO2, D.J. Payne, J. Hu, R.G. Egdell, V.R. Dhanak, G. Miller, Chemical Physics Letters (2007), Volume 443, Issues 1-3, Pages 61-65.
7. Fabrication and Characterization of Diamond Ultramicroelectrodes of Diameter
Brief Curriculum Vitae
Dr Jingping Hu is a professor of environmental engineering at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology, and is chairing FunMat Laboratory. His research largely focuses on advanced oxidation process (AOP) for wastewater treatment, electrochemical sensing for environmental monitoring, resource recovery of solid waste as environmental functional materials. He has been published more 40 papers in several leading international journals, including Adv. Mat., Angew Chem, Anal. Chem.
He was awarded the prestigious Newton Abraham studentship at Lincoln College and received his D.Phil from the University of Oxford (2004-2008). After graduation he was awarded as Sir William Ramsay Research Fellowship at the University of Oxford. In late 2013, Dr Hu was awarded the prestigious Chinese “Young Thousand Talents Programme“, and joined the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan China in January 2014.
He also serves as the vice-president of the Chinese Society of Chemical Science and Technology in the UK (CSCST-UK), the co-founder to initiate Oxford Forum of Science and Technology (OXFOST). He serves as member of editorial board for Journal “Advances in Chemistry” and "Journal of Water and Environmental Nanotechnology". He also serves as a regular reviewer for Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Physica Status Solidi (c), Analytica Chimica Acta, International Journal of Nano Manufacturing (IJNM), Materials for Renewable and Sustainable Energy (MRSE), and Chinese Journal of Environmental Engineering. He is also a member of International Water Association (IWA), member of Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), and member of Materials Research Society (MRS).
PhD studentship in Environmental Electrochemistry for international students
Applications are invited for a research studentship in the field of Environmental Electrochemistry, leading to the award of a PhD degree. The post is supported by a Chinese Government Scholarship for Chinese University Program (CUP) provided by China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the Ministry of Education (MOE), P. R. China. Candidates should fulfil the eligibility criteria for the award.
The Research Project
The FunMat Laboratory (Group website: http://funmat.ese.hust.edu.cn) was founded by Prof. Jingping Hu from the University of Oxford in 2014. This Lab is devoted to understand the degradation mechanisms in various advanced oxidation processes (AOP), to design novel electrochemical sensors for environmental monitoring and to explore resource recovery of solid waste as environmental functional materials.
The on-going projects include: Understanding various advanced oxidation processes for industrial waste water treatment, including electrochemical Oxidation, nano zero-valent iron reduction and oxidation, photocatalytic Oxidation and microbial fuel cell system; exploring electrochemical sensing for environmental monitoring using electrochemical system, Microfluidic environmental sensors and microbial electrochemical system; investigating resource recovery of solid waste as as environmental functional materials, for use as adsorbent for pollution control and electrodes for supercapacitors and lithium sulphur batteries.
1) Industrial Wastewater Pollution Control: The electrocatalytic advanced oxidation processes, Nanoscale Zero-valent Iron (nZVI), Photocatalytic Oxidation technology
2) Electrochemical Environmental Sensing: Electrochemical sensing, Bioelectrochemical system (BES) based sensing technique, Microfluidic environmental sensors
3) Solid Waste based Environment Function Material: Electrochemical Supercapacitors, High specific energy Lithium-Sulfur battery
The PhD Supervisors
Our research team consists of three supervisors, Prof. Jingping Hu, Associate Prof. Huijie Hou and Associate Prof. Bingchuan Liu, with around 20 research students and postdocoral researchers.
Prof. Dr Jingping Hu is a professor of environmental engineering at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology, and is chairing FunMat Laboratory. His research largely focuses on advanced oxidation process (AOP) for wastewater treatment, electrochemical sensing for environmental monitoring, resource recovery of solid waste as environmental functional materials. He has been published more 40 papers in several leading international journals, including Adv. Mat., Angew Chem, Anal. Chem. He was awarded the prestigious Newton Abraham studentship at Lincoln College and received his D.Phil from the University of Oxford (2004-2008). After graduation he was awarded as Sir William Ramsay Research Fellowship at the University of Oxford. In late 2013, Dr Hu was awarded the prestigious Chinese “Young Thousand Talents Programme“, and joined the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan China in January 2014.
Associate Prof. Huijie Hou is an associate professor in Dept. Environmental Engineering at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, and she is also the recipient of “Huazhong” Scholor. Her research interests cover mainly microbial electrochemical systems for wastewater treatment, microsensors for environmental applications and advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) for wastewater treatment. She has published more than 20 papers in leading journals including Advanced Materials, Trends in Biotechnology, Lab Chip, etc.
Associate Prof. Bingchuan Liu is an associate professor of environmental engineering at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology, and is a member of FunMat Laboratory. His research largely focuses on 1. Bioelectrochemical system based environmental sensing technology; 2. Sustainable bioenergy production from waste treatment; 3. Remote Bio-power source development in harsh environment. During his Ph.D study period, He has published 7 research papers as first/corresponding author and 12 research papers in total. Most of his research papers were published in top-ranked journals including Biosensor and Bioelectronics, Journal of Power Sources, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
Candidates should be an enthusiastic and self-motivated person who meets the academic requirements for enrolment for the PhD degree at Huazhong University of Science and Technolgy. You will have a 1st class honours degree in Environmental Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science or a related subject, and an enquiring and rigorous approach to research together with a strong intellect and disciplined work habits. An interest in Environmental Electrochemistry is essential. Good team-working, observational and communication skills are essential.
For further details of the post, please contact Prof Jingping Hu, hujp -AT- hust.edu.cn. Interested applicants should send up-to-date curriculum vitae, transcript of results and two academic references to Prof J. Hu. Suitable candidates will be required to complete related electronic application forms at the International Student Office in order for their scholarship application and qualifications to be addressed by the University international student office.